Our multi-disciplinary team around the world leverages the technology experience of our corporate, financial markets, financial services, regulatory, employment, tax and intellectual property and technology practices to offer integrated, full service legal solutions to assist our financial services and technology sector clients navigate the increasingly complex environment at the intersection of transactions, technology and regulation.
We are independently recognised as market leading – DLA Piper recently received the award for FinTech Firm (Specialism) of the Year, in the 2018 Legal 500 UK TMT (Technology, Media and Telecoms) category. This accolade is based on empirical research undertaken by the Legal 500 research teams, which includes detailed submissions sent from all major law firms, and thousands of client testimonials.
In addition to providing quality legal advice, DLA Piper has a supportive culture founded on the diversity of our people, the communities we operate in and the clients we work with. We continue to support our clients and contacts through cross-selling, introductions from known networks and development of networking opportunities – of particular benefit to growing and disruptive Fintech market players.
Key legal services we offer in Fintech include:
- Startup Best Practice: Advising entrepreneurs, including on a number of unicorns, on best practice across the startup lifecycle.
- Employment advice: Advising on the full range of employment issues matters relevant to FinTech market players and disruptive businesses.
- Venture Capital: Acting for leading global VC funds globally and acting for companies to raising e capital from VC funds.
- Tech IPOs: We draw on leading global venture capital expertise and networks unavailable to other Australian firms, enabling VC funding to be explored alongside an IPO.
- IP Strategy: Advising on all aspects of IP registration, protection and defence.
- Tech M&A: Advise on high profile and complex tech M&A.
- Corporate Venture and Innovation: Pre-eminent advisors to corporate venture and innovation teams globally.
- Dispute resolution: Advising on the full range of litigation services and meeting client needs in regulatory, public policy and enforcement areas.
- Global expansion: Advising on all aspects of global expansion for tech companies.
- Fund Establishment: ESVCLP and corporate venture fund expertise.
We are different to other law firms as:
We can leverage our international network – A key point of difference in our service offering to FinTechs is that, as a global law firm, we are able to leverage not just our extensive experience around the world, but in particular for Fintech, our deep heritage in Silicon Valley. Our venture capital and technology practice sets us apart to provide the best advice and support to FinTech businesses of all sizes. We are firmly focused on providing best practice global transaction and legal support from the US and elsewhere so that our innovative and entrepreneurial clients can grow their business.
We foster an inclusive culture through networking and offering introductions – One of the biggest issues impacting those in the FinTech industry is access to funding as they seek to expand their businesses. Through our global network we are able to introduce and connect FinTech businesses to international sources of capital.
We have strong values – A business is also defined by its culture and its values. Our firm has clear values that we uphold which alter how we work with our people, our clients and our communities. We strive in all things that we do to:
Be Supportive —– Be Collaborative —— Be Bold ——– Be Exceptional
Our values are at the heart of who we are as a law firm.
Key Policy Working Groups
DLA Piper is active in the following policy working groups:
- Payments Policy Working Group
- Open Data Policy Working Group
Main points of contact
Joel is one of Australia’s most active advisors to technology companies of all sizes from start-ups through to multi-nationals and an advisor to many technology focused venture capital funds in the Asia Pacific region. This includes Joel advising many of Australia’s fastest growing technology companies, including SaaS, financial services technology, ecommerce and cloud companies. Joel Cox has considerable experience advising on all aspects of public and private company M&A, equity capital markets transactions and private equity and venture capital transactions.
Sinead is a trusted advisor on data protection, data security and privacy, cyber security, breach management and related compliance issues for clients operating in these sectors. She has a particular interest in data compliance issues of emerging technologies. Sinead also has significant experience in large scale, innovative sourcing transactions, managed services initiatives, telecommunications procurement and other strategic and complex IT, telecommunications and commercial projects for customers and suppliers in both the public and private sector.
Kurt Tiam has been exposed to all aspects of corporate and commercial transactions, venture capital financing and cross-border mergers and acquisitions. This includes extensive experience advising US multi-national companies on Asia Pacific M&A and on investment into Asia Pacific based companies. Kurt has worked on deals across all sectors, but with a particular focus on technology and life sciences transactions. Kurt has particular experience in China, Malaysia, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Accelerate is DLA Piper’s dedicated online resource for entrepreneurs looking to be the next big…
Through Accelerate, DLA Piper provides entrepreneurs with easy to read materials that clearly explain key legal and business issues every founder of a company should know. Our materials help founders learn about issues commonly faced at formation; understand strategies for protecting a company’s intellectual property crown jewels; get a handle on the essentials of good corporate housekeeping and employment and equity compensation considerations; and consider key issues around fundraising and liquidity.
Our global platform positions us to provide resources that support global expansion, even for companies in the earliest stages. We also offer tools that enable entrepreneurs to generate commonly used documents for free on their own time in a self-service way.
Through this portal, entrepreneurs can partner with DLA Piper’s emerging growth team to accelerate formation, growth and expansion.
Accelerate was recently recognized by the Financial Times as one of the most innovative new products for attorneys.
- TechLaw Our offices around Australia host TechLaw events throughout the year. If youre interested in attending these informative events email Amanda.email@example.com and we can add you to our invite list.
- A case study – Reinventure (Westpac Bank’s AU$150 million CVC fund): We are the exclusive providers of legal services to Reinventure advising on all aspects of their investment process. Our deep expertise in venture capital internationally means that we are trusted to advise them on global best practice in corporate venture capital. We listen to Reinventure’s market insights and have developed precedent investment documents for Reinventure which we constantly refine. We have provided training for their junior staff and network with Reinventure’s staff at levels. We have a thorough understanding of their investment thesis and portfolio companies and scout for investment opportunities for them.
“We have found Joel and his team to be a highly valuable advisers in the legal area for corporate venture. From my perspective, they are also a good partner beyond legals. They are well connected across key markets.” – Ron Arnold Managing General Partner, IAG Ventures
“Thank you for all the hard work that the DLA Piper team has put into the last 6 months. We are extremely excited to have this calibre of investors on the team. If you were to pick a Dream Team of Investors then Blackbird (VC), Telstra Ventures (Corporate VC) and Skip (Unicorn Skills), you would be hard pressed to find better. A massive endorsement of the team, the product and the vision.” – Brad Parsons, CEO and Founder, Movus
“Joel Cox is a strong commercial lawyer who deals very effectively with emerging companies. He brought to the matters on which we have worked, a practical understanding of the risks and opportunities, a fine legal mind and great client skills. He has a genuine interest in disruptive businesses but exercises old style skill and efficiency. – Deena Schiff – ex-Telstra Ventures CEO, Non-Executive Director to various technology companies